Anne and I are never without a shop-sample-to-be, it seems. All our new yarns need swatching, and lately we've been making whole projects instead of the usual 4"x4" swatch, the better to show off the yarn. Here's what we're up to lately.
We recently got a new yarn from Araucania for the spring: Lontue, a 50/50 blend of cotton and linen. It's interesting stuff: variegated in color, thick-and-thin in texture, and very fine, but with a suggested gauge of 5 stitches per inch.
I tried it in a drop-stitch scarf, which I really cannot recommend this yarn for--boy, did it look messy! While I was ripping that out, Anne suggested trying a seed stitch. Only a few rows in, it was clear that the pattern would be completely obscured by the yarn's color and texture. I settled on garter stitch, so that the yarn could shine, and it's been going well since then. I'm at work on a simple garter stitch shawl, in the style of the Isager Alpaca 1 shawl.
Meanwhile, Anne has completed her Wingspan in Kauni Effektgarn, and it now hangs proudly on the wall at the shop. It's mesmerizing, especially in person, and another great example of what a good Eucalan soak can do for what seem to be scratchy wools. How the Kauni softened with that wash!
Come by the shop and see it for yourself.