Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Swans Island hat and mitts.

Though Anne and I were both beside ourselves with excitement over the arrival of the new Swans Island yarn, it's possible I was more excited, because she had assigned me the task of swatching it. I began by looking through their patterns for inspiration--a good starting place, as their patterns are beautiful in their simplicity, allowing the knitter to relax and enjoy the yarn. I chose the Harbor Hat pattern, which progressed quickly, and soon I had completed it, with more than half the skein to spare. Back to the Swans Island pattern binder I went, this time, for the Blackberry Mitts. 


The completed set now lives on the teacart with the Swans Island yarn, perched atop the basket, ready to be inspected by those who are curious just how this stuff knits up. Allow me to spoil the surprise: the yarn is wonderfully soft, smooth, and consistent. The patterns are easy to follow and quick to knit. Our love affair with Swans Island continues. In fact, I've started a sweater for myself out of the fingering weight Swans Island, the New Zealand Pullover from Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knit One Knit All. At 7 stitches to the inch, it'll be a while before it looks like much, but I will surely do some show and tell once it begins to resemble a sweater.



Come in and admire the Swans Island yarn and patterns if you haven't yet done so, and slip your hands inside these mitts. See you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment